What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
*earned money off of something i’d written (i.e. one of my grants got funded. i of course didn’t get any of that $$, it all went to book ‘em, but damn it felt good)
*went to a presidential inauguration
*wrote a split zine with a prisoner
*got a tattoo whilst sitting in my kitchen
*and a few personal things that aren’t for this forum.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
i don’t make new year’s resolutions! but i would like to get my passport and finally leave the country next year!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
joann at work had a baby, and it was a pretty damn cute one, even to a seasoned baby-hater like me.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
no one close, as of this moment. jonathan harmon died in january & we used to be palz. also, three clients at work died.
5. What countries did you visit?
none, as per usual.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
a full time job with benefits that isn’t evil. a passport.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
both times i went to DC were really fun & memorable. the january trip was particularly spectacular. my birthday was really good and so was thanksgiving. the champaign-urbana roadtrip was wonderful, possibly the best week all year. it’s all kind of a blur. i remember moments but not specific dayz.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
getting my damn grants funded & helping to save book ‘em from a financial crisis was pretty sweet. also, i was 1/2 of a healthy relationship for the first time ever really. it changed a lot of things in my life & heart & mind.
9. What was your biggest failure?
i didn’t write enough. and i acted very stupidly when faced with a challenging situation this spring, something i still beat myself up over.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
i got the worst UTI of my life in may, which brought me to new heights of pain that i’d previously not experienced. other than that, i was pretty lucky.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
cute clothes at the thrift store & bus/plane tickets to various places.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
most pittsburgh people, my siblings, my old-school friends and my sweetheart.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
mostly that fucking bitch at the teddy bear shop. my boss. on rare occasions, my sweetheart. certain stressful, crazy book ‘em peeps.
14. Where did most of your money go?
rent, billz, student loans, traveling, and going out to dinner!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
midwestern roadtrips. my lover moving here. my tattoo. the potential of a new job (which hasn’t materialized)
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
that “homeys dead & gone” song, “battlefield” by jordin sparks, “you” by atmosphere, “mind sex” & “let’s get healthy” by dead prez, “best i ever had” by drake, “werewolf” by cocorosie, & others i’m sure.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? happier.
b) thinner or fatter? fatter. but who cares.
c) richer or poorer? richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
listening to a certain stupid asshole blasting a mix cd on repeat in an attempt to attract customers to their joke of a store while i was trying to work.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
already spent it. in new york. i made an eggplant lasagna & watched many episodes of “jersey shore” with various fam members. it was pretty good.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
ru paul’s drag race.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
nah, but there are some people whose bullshit i’m no longer willing to deal with.
25. What was the best book you read?
“the prisoner’s wife” by asha bandele. runners up include: “assata: an autobiography” by assata shakur, “a language older than words” by derrick jensen, “the book thief” -marcus zuzak, & so many more.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
as per ush, i am slow on the uptake. probably the best out of all those recently “discovered” bands is dead prez & atmosphere.
27. What did you want and get?
a new tattoo & more traveling.
28. What did you want and not get?
a fulltime job with benefits that isn’t evil. a finished book.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 27 & went out for thai food with sweet pittsburghers. my boyfriend made me a cake with homemade orange icing. peeps hung out at my house and giggled, it felt like a slumber party.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
being able to smack my boss’ daughter upside the head. (in case you haven’t noticed, I REALLY NEED A NEW JOB)
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
all over the place.
33. What kept you sane?
my friends, my lover, reading, good things in the mail box.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
prison-related stuff, as per usual.
36. Who did you miss?
the ocean & new york in the summer time.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
nate. also, i technically met matt & leah last year but i got to know them this year, & i’m glad i did.