What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
COMPLETED A NOVEL!!, saw a man dressed as sarah palin pull an amerikan flag from his ass onstage, rode my bike across state lines, rode my bike 320 miles in a week, camped for more than one consecutive night, visited mainland canada, had a 2-guy threesome, had a full-time job with benefits, got my passport! (not in chronological order.)
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
yes, they were to get my passport and finally leave the country and make a significant dent in my debt. i’ve done all 3. next year’s goals: leave the continent, get outta debt, find a home for my book.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
someone who i used to be close with did, i think.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
no one close, as of this moment.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
some new stamps on my passport. a published book. friends at work that i actually get to see during the workday.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
mostly awful things that i don’t really want to remember, or else sexy/romantic things that i don’t want to share here. um. i remember getting pizza tattoos on valentines day, the aforementioned american flag incident, that beet dinner with stephanie and pino, toronto funtimes, going swimming with my sibs in the polish hill pool, some dinners at landslide, a ridiculous time on the southside, the bike trip, some other things…
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
besides the book, i really didn’t achieve anything. i spent most of my time working jobs that made me really sad; giving most of my money to student loan officers; being misunderstood by strangers, friends and lovers alike; raging, crying, being heartbroken in every sense of the word.
9. What was your biggest failure?
see above. also, i really wish i’d gotten off the bus when i’d gotten a certain beseeching text message, but i just kept on going like a drone.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
the front rack & panniers for my bike. the occasional cute outfit.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
most pittsburgh people, my siblings, my old-school friends and my sweetheart.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
my co-workers & my sweetheart.
14. Where did most of your money go?
student loans, delicious food, cute outfits, and good books and music. oh and the bike trip!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
quitting my god-awful job with child prtective srvcs. getting more tattoos. going to toronto. going on the bike trip. seeing the ocean again. and several things that didn’t happen.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
i don’t want to be reminded. but probably arcade fire, lil’ kim and 70′s punk rock. (i know these are artists/genres and not songs)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? sadder.
b) thinner or fatter? the jury’s out. i really don’t care.
c) richer or poorer? richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
crying in the bathroom at work. trying to explain things to people who just don’t get it. working, in general.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
already spent it. in new york. got off to a rough start but then it got way better. full of delicious food, berets, a vuvuzela, much hilarity, and my long-lost sister!
21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
ru paul’s drag race.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
no. but i have stopped being friends with a lot of people this year!
25. What was the best book you read?
i actually read a lot of really great books this year. some of my faves were “a visit from the goon squad” -jennifer egan, “will grayson, will grayson” by john green & david levithan, “sex changes” and “public sex” by patrick califia, “freedom” by jonathan franzen, more i’m sure.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
i really loved “the suburbs” by arcade fire.
27. What did you want and get?
a finished book! and a halfway-decent job (although it’s been AWFUL these past 2 months)
28. What did you want and not get?
sympathy. empathy. consideration.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 28 but you woulda thought i was 12 by how i celebrated: cake & girl talk (the game, not the band) & lots of giggling. it was actually REALLY fun.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
see question #28.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
have i ever had a personal fashion concept? i mean, really? i wore skirts more often than i ever have in my life, perhaps.
33. What kept you sane?
reading good books, my bicycle, my ipod (esp. at work), sometimes my friends and lover.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
i am numb.
36. Who did you miss?
kastoory, eric g., emily, sheena and lucy. axi, as always. and a few people who i don’t want to name.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
danny and hilary, i think.