Dec. 24th, 2008 06:19 pm 2008 in review!
What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
–written a book! (well, most of one, anyway) -stayed in an apartment till the end of a lease
-signed a new lease all by myself
-allowed myself to become a vital part of an activist group, instead of relegating myself to shitwork like i always do because i’m afraid i’ll fuck something up
-became a karaoke superstar! (i say that semi-sarcastically)
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
i don’t make new year’s resolutions!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
liz popped out little hattie on dec. 2! and i cannot wait to meet her.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
not as of this moment.
5. What countries did you visit?
none, as per usual.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
a new tattoo, fewer health scares, maybe some more disposable income would be swell.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
the day i found out i wasn’t dying, that one really fun day in february where i ran into literally everyone i like in this city and really felt the love, the day pino & i took pictures at giant eagle & i got on the news, the day monica, sena & i took a “vacation” at tiffini’s house, pride and all the hilarious hijinx, the really good weekend my dad & my sister visited me, the really good weekend that ray first visited me, the first snowfall & snow angels & kale soup. a whole lot of little moments. also, some bad shit that i won’t dredge up here.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
surviving. writing 120 pages of a book plus three zines! making a lot of really good friends & having a lot of fun, despite the bullshit.
9. What was your biggest failure?
i completely ruined the friendship i had with the former love of my life. also, i lost my wallet (although it turned up a month later–in the fucking refrigerator!)
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
my heart condition. plus i got really bad tendonitis while i was a dishwasher (which, thankfully, has gone away for the most part.) also, i whacked my hand into a side-view mirror the other day and my fingers swelled up so big! they’re better now though.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
um…i don’t really buy much. some cute patches, good thriftstore clothes, bus tickets to new york city & baltimore.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
all of my pittsburgh friends have been so sweet, especially when i was going through that rough time this winter. the faggotz have given me lots of good life coaching & laughs; ali helps keep the riot grrrl torch burning and gets me in a very specific way, alyssa has always been down for mystical adventures, amanda restores my faith in humanity on a regular basis, the craft night girls feel like home. my friends in prison have taught me a lot this year. my friends in new york occupy the most prime real estate in my heart, even though i haven’t seen them very much this year. emily, lucy, steve, jill and ray all visted me which was super fun. ray has been a sweetheart in every sense of the word.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
now would be a good time to employ my favorite destiny’s child quote: “no, i’m not gonna diss you on the internet, cuz my mama taught me better than that.”
14. Where did most of your money go?
rent, billz, student loans, my extremely expensive heart monitor. so fun!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
my new apartment, fun times with friends, good makeouts, wacky adventures, trips to NY, etc.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
“epitaph for my heart” – the magnetic fields. there are more but i can’t think of them right now.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? sadder.
b) thinner or fatter? fatter. but that’s not why i’m sadder.
c) richer or poorer? poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
i’m going back to NY. i’m going to bake vegan macaroni casserole & apple muffins to share with judgemental relatives.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
i fell in love with my freedom, with the work i’ve been chosen to do & all the good people surrounding me. i plead the fifth as to whether any actual romance was involved.
22. How many one-night stands?
none, unless you count that psuedo-orgy post-dyke-march (which i don’t).
23. What was your favorite TV program?
geez i didn’t watch too much TV at all. huzzah!
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
25. What was the best book you read?
“against love”, by i forget who; “rat bohemia” & “girls, visions & everything” by sarah schulman; “ladies first: revelations of a strong woman” by queen latifah, “pedro & me” by that guy from the real world; “nick & norah’s infinite playlist” by david levithan & rachel cohen
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
as per ush, i am slow on the uptake. so: outkast, common, the roots, arcade fire, etc.
27. What did you want and get?
a sweet apartment. inspiration. peace.
28. What did you want and not get?
an easy time.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 26. i went out for thai food with my pittsburgh favorites & then down to the lesbo bar, where i discovered my inner karaoke superstar for the first time ever!
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
less mental and physical health problems. less upset in my personal life. although i think that wreckage led me to somewhere better, it was still so hard.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
biz-cas faggot at work; also i declared this summer “femme summer ’08” and i experimented with being femme. (or femme-er–i still didn’t shave or wear makeup). it was semi-successful.
33. What kept you sane?
my friends, reading, baking, knowing i’d get through this.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
prison-related stuff, as per usual, especially how our tax dollars are being used to torture people in camp hill and throughout the state. also i got a lil’ misty-eyed when obama got elected (i know that’s not an “issue”, but it still falls within the realm of politix)
36. Who did you miss?
new york! new york! new york!
37. Who was the best new person you met?
amy, colleen, stephanie, everyone at book ’em. also i technically met aaryn, alyssa, branden & pino last year but it was this year they became my amazing friends and i’m so glad.