1.What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
legally changed my name!!! fundraised to publish my book! made this thing real, finally finally finally. those two have been on my to-do list for years. also: learned an ex has raped someone & dealt with the complications around that (including what to do with a large body of autobiographical writing where he is portrayed pretty un-harshly). visited seattle. taken the train across the country (twice). worked on christmas day. worked all night, multiple times. talked a stranger out of committing suicide. filed a missing person’s report (also multiple times).
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
i published my book! although it’s not back from the printer’s yet so idk if that counts. i got a job and i loved in a sustainable way. i dunno what my goals are for 2014.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? yeah, but i’m not close with any of them. aly & tara just gave birth yesterday, separately.
4. Did anyone close to you die? sean, although we weren’t close. a few clients, although again, we weren’t close.
5. What countries did you visit? none.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013? financial security, paid vacation time.
7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
swimming naked in the pacific ocean with nora in october was one of the high points of my entire life, let alone the year. i will remember intense moments at work, dancing by myself besides the SF bay, some really intense and healing conversations with a new friend, some moments with my book, taking some pittsburghers to the hot tubs and marvelling at the strangeness of life and how we all got here, sailing to treasure island drunk with eva, dave and their weird marina neighbor, playing on ziplines in seattle with monica, murph and adam, lizzie surprising me with a picnic on my birthday, laying in the hammock with jordan after a devastating and scary family fight, my mom getting excited about the giant duck, listening to my ipod as the train chugged through gorgeous mountains in seattle, reading strangers’ tarot cards on the train, reading maranda’s tarot on the steps of my old house, going to the bay with jill, i don’t know, lots of stuff!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
doing a lot of good work. changing my name.
9. What was your biggest failure?
not setting appropriate boundaries with certain people. a few things that i fucked up at work.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
i got the flu recently which was awful, and i fucked up my neck in july & had to go to the chiropractor. other than that i’ve been mostly ok.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
the legal notice for my name, the cover of my book (three hundred bucks from a friend, and totally worthwhile), plane/train tix to the east coast, tasty food, my new coffee pot.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
my friends & my sweethearts, some clients, some co-workers.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
the city of san francisco.
14. Where did most of your money go?
student loans, traveling, and moving.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? my new apartment, visiting the east coast, and publishing my book!
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
i dunno if any new songs really came into my life this year. embarrassingly, “same love” by macklemore will always make me think of this summer.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? a little sadder, but still okay.
b) thinner or fatter? thinner, but that’s cuz i just had the flu 😦
c) richer or poorer? i have a lot of $ in my bank account but it will all be gone soon.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? writing.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
dealing with people’s bullshit.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
already spent it. i was at work all day but there wasn’t much to do so i got paid double time to eat snax and go on the internet. rad!
21. Did you fall in love in 2013? stayed in love.
22. How many one-night stands? none, but i made out with a few new peeps.
23. What was your favorite TV program? orange is the new black.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? i hate the same person more.
25. What was the best book you read? “telegram”, “do it anyway”, “dear sugar”, “welcome to my country”, “the way forward is with a broken heart” and probz a lot more.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
don’t ask me for a musical discovery, i’m hardly cutting edge. i spent most of this year listening obsessively to beyonce & jawbreaker.
27. What did you want and get? published book & name change, meaningful work that i am good at, cali-friends, lots of (unpaid) vacation time
28. What did you want and not get? a good night’s sleep, a paid vacation, recognition from higher-ups, etc
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I was 31, i was in pittsburgh. lizzie surprised me with a fancy picnic in front of the library, then jessie picked me up and we gossiped, then shea & stephy took me out for pizza and we gossiped some more! i talked for like ten hours straight and it was a good day.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
probably more money. and my friends standing in solidarity with me and no longer hanging out with my shitty ex.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
33. What kept you sane?
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
just the gentrification of SF & the cutbacks that affect people i care about.
36. Who did you miss? east coasters.
37. Who was the best new person you met? everyone at work! also i am glad that asher came back into my life ❤